Saturday, August 31, 2013

Film Delicacy

THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES




Welcome to 'The City of Bones'- Jace Wayland to Clary Fray; The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones


Hello bookworms! I've finally watched TMI City of Bones movie yesterday. So after 2 years of building anticipation,it hit the theaters and I was ecstatic to the point of almost jumping up and down along the way to the movies. I read some of the critics review and to say the film was poor would be quiet an understatement. Of course, I know better than to expect a movie adaptation to be as good as the book itself (with exception of The Lord Of The Rings-both book and film adaptation of the trilogy give me chills).

Anyway, as I was saying the critics has given reviews that sent The City of Bones film to the gutter. Feeling the start of disappointment growing, I went ahead and watch the movie. Now the thing is there are some parts of the movie where I would have change from the start. Let's say the casting issues. People have been complaining about Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace (I know folks, I was pissed when Alex Pettyfer turned down the role- he was the perfect Jace by description but oh well), but Jamie actually made a pretty good arrogant, cool Jace. He's not as bad as I thought when he was cast. Though, I have to say he's too skinny for my liking. If only he buffed up a little more, he would have fit Jace's description even better. 


He has tiny braids on the back
Now,actually the casting I definitely would change will be Jonathan Rhys Meyers aka Valentine Morgenstern. First, Valentine has white blond hair while Rhys-Meyers has dark braided hair (c'mon braided hair! Really? Nutter if I have to say). Second, he doesn't have the evil/genius/charming vibe like in the book. So this is my definite disappointment so far. 

The special effects on stele and runes 
Story has some minor changes but it was okay for me as it doesn't retract too much from the original. I understand that the scriptwriters have to compressed one thick book into a 160 minutes movie. Also,the flow of the storyline was pretty good. So no complains there. Special effects including runes and demon appearances are surprisingly good considering the small budget the directors and producers have to work with. Costumes look great as well with the leather, black attributes yet it suits what teenagers would wear. The action sequence are excellent (hands up to Valentine and Jace's fighting scene). Battle during Hotel Dumort arc is epic!

The stand out casts for me were Robert Sheehan and Jemima West as Simon and Isabelle, respectively. Sheehan has most of the comedic moments and West portrays Isabelle perfectly- gorgeous, badass one hell of a fighter.

Overall, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones did a great job in delivering Clare's world of Shadowhunters to us mundanes. I have no idea why the critics were being so..critical. Personally, the film is not a flop and fans of Cassandra Clare's work will enjoy it- although not a slavish interpretation but it stays faithful to the main story (even Alec's subplot is included!). So, look forward to the sequel which is the second installment in the series: City of Ashes, as shooting begins in September 2013.

Signing off, bookwormsoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...