Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Bowl For the Soul

JOURNEY TO HOUSE OF HADES


"Nico, I've seen a lot of brave things. But what you just did? That was maybe the bravest."- Jason Grace to Nico de Angelo; House of Hades.

Hello bookworms! I've been a fan of all Rick Riordan's work since The Lighting Thief- including the likes of The Percy Jackson and The Olympians and The Kane Chronicles. Now, with his most recent ongoing series, The Heroes of Olympus, I have been waiting for ages to grab a copy of the 5th instalment: The House Of Hades. Let me tell you; it is worth the long-wait! 

My copy of House of Hades. I abandon my other books just to start reading it!
Rick Riordan reading House of Hades
Once again, Riordan has managed to make me roared in laughter with the right jokes thrown around on the right timing yet keeps me on my toes throughout the book due to the suspense and plot twists (you will not see it coming). House of Hades continues from the end of the Mark Of Athena, where the gang has gotten hold of Athena Parthenos; the key to stop the incoming war between the Greeks and the Romans, but Percy and Annabeth fell to the depths of Tartarus during the process and Gaea is soon waking up to take over the world. The future seems bleak for our heroes but as we all know, it will be hard to break these demigods. Now, their friends are on board of Argo II to rescue Percy and Annabeth from Tartarus and to close the Doors of Death (all the vile creatures aka monsters and Titans are escaping from Tartarus through the door to answer Gaea's summon to create havoc) at House Of Hades. 

I have to say this is true!
We can feel each of the characters' dilemmas because Riordan alternated POVs between all the main characters. This time they have to face their personal fears such as helplessness, feeling of being useless, and failing their loved ones. My spotlight is turned to Leo Valdez in House of Hades. He was awesome and funny since the beginning of the series yet had captured little of my attention up until House of Hades. Guaranteed a spot as the comic relief during the story has always been Leo's job. Then in House of Hades, he matured immensely. Towards the end of the book, his jokes and mischief had sobered much and Jason had noticed a faraway light in his best friend's eyes. He no longer pins after Hazel and he made a great promise that will be hard to keep (Spoiler! To skip spoiler, continue directly to the next paragraph: Leo was stranded on Calypso's island and fallen for her. He promised to return and saved her yet this had been an impossible thing to do for centuries- once you leave, you will never find the island again.) So let's see whether Leo and Calypso will become a new ship in the series. I hope it will because I'm ecstatic at the thought of it! I want Leo to find a way back to Calypso or else..well nothing actually since I'm not the author and I don't own any of the characters (sigh).

I'm a major fan of some of the existing characters pairing while I don't ship some of them that much. Here's what i think of the three major couples in the series:

Percabeth aka Percy and Annabeth: This is the heart of the whole love debacle since Percy Jackson and The Olympians series. Until now, these two is still going strong and gets even more romantic if possible. In House of Hades, both of them are trapped in Tartarus but we could see their love so tender and they would sacrifice themselves for each other. 

Hazel and Frank quotes
Jason and Piper: Again, no significant progress on this couple. None. Nada. Nil. Zilch. Zero. Okay, I'll stop spouting out single words. There's just no other vocab to describe these two. I don't connect with them that's all. 

Hazel and Frank: These two are just the cutest! I'm literally crooning right now (I know it sounds freaky- even I can't believe I'm writing this down..). Anyway, Hazel and Frank is one of my favourite new couple from Heroes of Olympus. They are so sweet and adorable. I hope they stay together till the end.


Warning! Major Spoiler Ahead! To skip spoiler, continue directly to the last paragraph. Then Riordan has to drop the biggest bomb in the book. It's regarding Nico de Angelo. Cue squeal. I've always had a soft spot for Nico since he has this cool powers to summon skeletons as an army and well, he's the son Hades. Enough said. Riordan has let most fans thought Nico has a crush on Annabeth; therefore he was jealous of Percy. Other characters in the book suspected the reason Nico ran away because he couldn't stand the sight of Percy and Annabeth together. This is not exactly wrong but it is not Annabeth that Nico was in love with. Yes! Riordan has introduced us to the first gay character in House of Hades. This is quite amazing as Riordan incorporate the insecurity of Nico and the support of Jason when he finds out about what Nico's been hiding all along. We can relate to Nico's fear and dread so great job Riordan!

When I realised I have to wait for another year.. 
A standing ovation for Rick Riordan. His work never cease to make me hang on to the pages and I can't wait for the sixth and last instalment of the series: Blood of Olympus. With the subtle cliffhanger in the end of House of Hades; that makes me want to scratch out my eyes in frustration, I have to wait along with all of the fans out there for the last book with publish date on Fall 2014. Happy Reading and waiting for those who are done with House of Hades.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't caught onto the Rick Riordan train yet. They are the type of books I like to read, but something about them just hasn't peaked my interest.

    I have to say you paint this series in a wonderful light and I might have to pick up this series...although I might wait until that last book comes out so I don't have to feel your pain...waiting for series books to come out is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like humour and greek mythology yet a story with morality, this is a definite book to read. You should start from Percy Jackson and the Olympians first though :) Thank you very much. I'm glad you find my review satisfying. I hope you'll read it soon and join the Percy Jackson fandom club! That may be a good idea. It's so agonizing having to wait for the last book to come out :/ Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. I've nominated you for a Liebster Award, for having such an awesome blog! http://confessionofabookworm.blogspot.com/2013/12/third-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm so excited!!! Thank you so much Emma! This is really wonderful :) So happy that you find my blog nominated-worthy :DDD

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...