Friday, January 10, 2014

Bookworm Buzz


AUTHOR ASK, WE ANSWER


Hi bookworms! Today we are doing an interview again but unlike most interview where bloggers ask the questions, this time we will be the one doing the answering! Heather Hildenbrand approached us for the interview, I got really excited for this opportunity. Here is my interview with Heather and I hope you enjoy it!

Are you a writer?

I consider myself as one so yes. I’ve written a few articles for my local newspapers and I’m working on a novel at the moment.

Do you have aspirations of publishing a book someday?

Yes, very much so! It’s been my dream since middle school. I’ve written a few short stories and now, I’m working on my first novel. I hope I manage to finish and publish it in the near future.

What is your overall opinion of self-publishing?

With the modern media and technology that enables anyone to promote their works through social medias, self-publishing is a good way to publish our book without being tied to large publishing house/ company. We can write on our own pace and liking since there’s no publisher that neither gives us deadline nor tells us to change any of the things we write.

Do you read self-published books?

Yes. I’ve come across several self-published books and in fact, since I started my blog I received a few self-published book review request. And I accepted them. I often found these self-published books to be an undiscovered gem!

What is one thing you like about reading or working with indie authors?

We feel a deeper connection with indie authors because they’re more approachable. I also found indie authors to be more appreciative of any help and inputs from their reviewers and readers.

What is one thing indie authors are doing well?

Definitely communication. They are making the most of social medias to get their book out there. Another thing is the increasing indie authors and readers community, which enables indie authors to communicate with each other and with fellow readers.

What is one thing indie authors need to work on?

I found some indie books that need improvements on their editing and proofreading. Sometimes there are just too many typos for my liking, which breaks the flow of reading and it might ruin my overall opinion of the book.

What’s your preferred genre to read in?

I don’t have a specific favourite genre. I like crime fiction, fantasy, and even non-fiction books. I have to say the thing that excites me the most in a book is the main character. I love a good story with a strong, independent heroine; not a damsel in distress. Of course, romance usually is included in what I read. What’s not to like about a love story?

What kind of story are you most excited to read right now?

I’m looking for motivational books that help in character building and achieving better goals in life.

What’s your prediction on the next “hot” genre?

This is a difficult thing to predict. I would probably say zombie genre since I found so many of those “undead” books while searching through bookshops. 


Much thanks to Heather for this great opportunity. It is wonderful to see the opinions of bloggers/readers valued by writers. It's been a great experience working with Heather in producing this interview session and would love to work with her again.



About Heather:

Heather Hildenbrand is the YA and NA author of more than eight novels including the bestselling Dirty Blood series. She writes from home full-time while teaching other authors to do the same.

She is a co-founder of Accendo Press, a collaborative publishing effort dedicated to publishing stories that ignite the imagination.


About Phoenix:

Phoenix is a company designed for guiding and mentoring authors through writing, self-publishing, and the business that follows. I offer coaching, mentoring, accountability, strategic planning, step-by-step instructions, checklists, and content editing for authors at all stages of their publishing career.


The Indie Movement has allowed for so much space and freedom for new authors to emerge and to earn a healthy, full-time income doing something that no longer requires a middle man's approval. However, to be successful and have the longevity of a career, there is still a lot to learn. You have a responsibility to yourself and your readers to put out the best product possible. Don't shortchange them or yourself by cutting the wrong corners or rushing a skill set that ends up looking rushed to the most important person in your business: the reader. 

Let me help you understand and navigate the publishing world and build not just readers, but fans, so that you can spend your time and energy pursuing your passion of writing!


4 comments:

  1. I always love getting to know the bloggers behind the blog better!! Awesome interview and post :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific post and some very valid points! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I'm just happy to share some of my thoughts!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...